Fresh calls for a clampdown on shellfish pickers continually targeting a Saundersfoot beach have been made, with an estimated 200 to 250 people said to have hit the locality on Mother’s Day to ‘rinse’ the seabeds, leaving with trollies full.

With a large volume of vehicles blocking the access approach route down to Glen Beach, Welsh Government marine enforcement officers were said to be in the seaside village monitoring the situation, with commerical cockle and clam picking deemed illegal.

To address concerns in the locality previously, signage was erected by Glen Beach displaying information for those not familiar with byelaws and legislation set out, stating: ‘No commercial gathering of any shellfish permitted on this beach. No gathering of cockle permitted during hours of darkness’ and pointing people to the Welsh Fisheries Department in relation to guidance.

Glen Beach in Saundersfoot
To address concerns in the locality previously, signage was erected by Glen Beach displaying information for those not familiar with byelaws and legislation set out, stating: ‘No commercial gathering of any shellfish permitted on this beach. No gathering of cockle permitted during hours of darkness’ and pointing people to the Welsh Fisheries Department in relation to guidance. (Pic. Gareth Davies Photography)

Reports on social media suggested that Tenby’s North Beach was also targeted during the early hours of Monday morning.

One operson who witnessed the situation in Saundersfoot on the afternoon of March 30, remarked on social media: “Walked down to the sea, and great to see the litter pickers out - but then the scavengers appeared and took over, clearing the beach of cockles, mussels etc. Huge shopping bags full!”

County councillor for Saundersfoot’s South Ward, Cllr Chris Williams who has made a concerted effort over the past couple of years to tackle the matter, at the request of those concerned in the community, commented: “I want people to know that hopefully some action is being taken, as feelings are running high and I don’t want individuals taking matters into their own hands.

“I counted between 200 and 250 people picking shellfish down on the beach on Sunday - that was the largest number I have ever seen.

“I’m not talking about local people picking for their own use, I mean the people going back and forth to their vehicles with trollies full of shellfish.

“They’re coming en masse, in family groups, with salt machines, trollies, the lot.

“People are fearing that the beach is being absolutely decimated.

“It was the highest tide for 40 years on Sunday, and it brought them out in force. But they’re coming all the time at low tide, and that could be in the middle of the night.

“The inconvenience they are causing to local residents is constant – they are parking their vehicles over the pavements, blocking people’s drives, leaving litter everywhere and even moving a bollard installed by Welsh Water so they can park a couple of extra cars.”

Saundersfoot PCSOs
Cllr Chris Williams is now arranging a meeting with Saundersfoot Harbour officers, the Welsh Government, Natural Resources Wales and Dyfed-Powys Police to try and tackle the situation. (Facebook)

A spokesperson for Pembrokeshire County Council said that, Saundersfoot beach is not commercially classified, so no commercial gathering of live bivalve molluscs (which includes cockles) for human consumption is permitted.

"However, legislation allows for small quantities of personal use gathering of cockles or other live bivalves,” they continued.

"This is enforced by Welsh Government Marine Enforcement Officers based in Milford Haven.

"Gathering for commercial purposes is different in that beds must be classified by the Food Standards Agency and monitored regularly by the Local Authority."